Today LuNa Smelter releases an update on the support the company has provided to employees, colleagues and their families, as well as for local communities facing COVID-19 pandemic.
We have reacted early and put stringent measures in place across our business. Adhering to restrictions imposed by the Rwandan Government, we have introduced all preventive actions at our operational sites. We also strictly follow the Rwanda Mines, Petroleum and Gas Board (RMB) guidelines to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the mining sector.
We have implemented many precautionary measures across our operations and assets, some of which include:
- recommending our employees stay at home if they feel unwell and seek medical advice;
- implementation of enhanced hygiene and cleaning measures;
- introduction of temperature screening, where appropriate;
- limitation of non-essential visits to offices and assets;
- restrictions on all non-essential travel.
As a responsible operator, we continue to monitor the situation closely since the health and safety of our people always come first. We are committed to helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and we understand our role in ensuring health protection for our workforce and local communities.